Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine can help you reach your goal weight and maintain it by promoting better digestion, soothing emotions, reducing appetite, improving metabolism, and eliminating food cravings.
From an Oriental medicine perspective, the acupuncture points, foods and herbs that are chosen to assist with weight loss directly influence the Qi of the Spleen and Liver systems to treat the root imbalances that are causing the weight gain.
From a Western perspective, acupuncture and Oriental medicine have been shown to have an effect on the function of the nervous system, endocrine system, digestive system, food cravings, and metabolism. All of which can help to energize the body, maximize the absorption of nutrients, regulate elimination, control overeating, suppress the appetite, and reduce anxiety.
The beauty of acupuncture is that each treatment is catered to the needs of the individual patient. Acupuncture points on both the body and ear will be chosen for overall wellbeing with the objective of increasing circulation of the blood and Qi (stimulating the metabolism) and calming the nervous system.
Acupuncture and Oriental medicine are powerful tools for healthy weight loss. They can be used as additional resources to help you lose weight, along with weight loss programs that involve diet, exercise, and stress management techniques.
An acupuncture treatment program for weight loss or weight control takes into consideration other factors that may have led to the weight gain, such as lifestyle, eating habits, and mental and emotional well-being. Taking a holistic approach to weight loss with acupuncture helps to get to the root of your health concerns, instead of just treating the symptoms
Treatments will focus on the correction of imbalances in your body and will help you to reach your weight loss goals. Keep in mind that acupuncture is not a "quick fix", but you will be able to reach your long-term goals as well as experience overall better health if you keep to the customized treatment plan that your acupuncture physician designs for you. Treatment plans incorporate acupuncture along with exercise, lifestyle changes, as well as nutritional plans to help you meet your realistic personal goals.
There are several ways acupuncture (both body and ear) can benefit you while you are trying to lose weight:
- Better Digestion: Over time, things like crash diets, irregular eating habits and excessive greasy or fattening foods all take their toll on the digestion. Chronic symptoms such as bloating, gas, heartburn, constipation or diarrhea are all signs that the digestive system is out of balance. Acupuncture can help to harmonize the digestive organs so that you are symptom-free. Proper digestion ensures that you are getting the nutrients you need from your food so you feel less hungry.
- Soothes Emotions: When acupuncture needles are inserted into specific points on the body and in the ear it stimulates the release of endorphins. Endorphins have a calming and relaxing effect on the body. Naturally releasing endorphins makes it easier to deal with stress, frustration and anxiety which can be triggers for emotional eating, overeating and bingeing on fattening foods.
- Reduces Appetite: Acupuncture controls appetite to curb excessive eating caused by both physical and emotional factors. These factors may include refined carbohydrates, medications, increased exercise, alcohol consumption, and high adrenal hormone levels. Typically an ear point is used to control appetite and has been found quite effective in clinical trials.
- Regulates Metabolism: Acupuncture helps to regulate your metabolism. A history of irregular eating, overeating and even thyroid dysfunction all contribute to a slow metabolism. Acupuncture can help to increase metabolism by stimulating the thyroid and endocrine glands as your body adjusts to the changes in your diet and exercise. Affecting the endocrine system also helps to stabilize blood sugar levels.
- Stops Food Cravings: Regular acupuncture treatments can help curb food cravings, just as it has been proven to help cravings for other addictive substances like tobacco and alcohol. Support from acupuncture helps to eliminate cravings and increases the will power to overcome them.
- Cleanses the Body: Acupuncture treatments during weight loss help to cleanse your system. Toxins that have been built up over time from excess weight and adipose tissue can cause symptoms such as fatigue, acne and depression. These can be relieved or eliminated with acupuncture, whether or not you are trying to lose weight.